Ex-Michigan football OC worked as NFL contractor while under investigation for data theft per NBC Sports

ANN ARBOR, Mich. – The situation involving former Michigan Wolverines offensive coordinator Matt Weiss has significant implications within the NFL, with connections that extend before and after the alleged misconduct.

Weiss is accused of engaging in a pattern of obtaining sensitive information regarding college students, which reportedly began during his tenure with the Baltimore Ravens.

Recommended Videos



While working for the Ravens in 2015, Weiss allegedly downloaded the personally identifiable information and medical data of more than 150,000 athletes.

This is a 2009 photo of Matt Weiss of the Baltimore Ravens NFL football team. This image reflects the Baltimore Ravens active roster as of Friday, May 29, 2009 when this image was taken. (AP Photo) (AP2009)

This included intimate digital photographs and videos that were never intended to be shared beyond intimate partners.

A 52-page civil suit has also been filed against Weiss, U of M, its Regents, and Keffer Development Services — also known as The Athletic Trainer System—that Weiss allegedly used.

The alleged misconduct continued throughout his employment with the Ravens until 2020, when he signed with the Michigan Wolverines football program.

Latest on Michigan football co-offensive coordinator Matt Weiss placed on leave

Weiss coached at the University of Michigan from 2020 to 2023 and was charged on March 20 in the 24-count indictment that alleges 14 counts of unauthorized access to computers and 10 counts of aggravated identity theft.

–> Ex-Michigan football coach Matt Weiss charged in cybercrime operation targeting student-athletes

The Ravens have not responded to requests for comment regarding Weiss, whose investigation and subsequent indictment occurred after his time with the team.

He was placed on leave on Jan. 17, 2023, following a police investigation into a report of computer access crimes.

Weiss was away from the team and had not been on the recruiting trail for the Wolverines back in December 2022.

During the initial investigation, Weiss’ neighbors said many unmarked cars were found outside the co-offensive coordinator’s Ann Arbor home.

The initial search was believed to be tied to the University of Michigan police investigation.

Following the investigation in January 2023, Weiss, according to NBC Sports, secured contract work with two NFL franchises.

He began working with the Cleveland Browns in 2023 and later joined the Seattle Seahawks in 2024.

According to the Browns, Weiss was never present in the building but completed some “one-off” advance projects before leaving for the Seahawks.

The NFL has not responded to inquiries about the decision of two teams to utilize Weiss’ services after the investigation that led to his indictment began last week.

But former Wolverines and current Los Angeles Chargers head coach Jim Harbaugh addressed the computer hacking allegations against former NFL and Michigan assistant Weiss.

Harbaugh spoke to reporters at the NFL owners meetings on March 31, stating he was unaware of the allegations until after Weiss coached his final game with the Wolverines in the 2022 college football playoffs.

On April 2, 2025, more women said they were taking Weiss and the University of Michigan to court.

The lawsuit was filed on Wednesday, which included former student-athletes from U-M.

With the filing, the total number of women suing Weiss and the university has now reached 17.

They’re claiming Weiss illegally accessed their personal data, and the university didn’t do enough to protect them.

Weiss is facing serious charges for allegedly downloading personal data from thousands of students, including intimate photos and videos.

This post was originally published on this site be sure to check out more of their content.